Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Epic Rant: Episode 1 - Elitists

Warning: Rant-y Text-Wall ahead! 


These are just my opinions on these matters, I do not claim to be an expert on anything. This post is not meant to offend anyone and you are more than welcome to have a differing opinion. Names and places have been left out to keep things tasteful and for privacy's sake.


~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~


Elitists Pictures, Images and Photos
ElitistsIn short, a person, or group of persons, who believes something about them makes them superior to others, and they feel the need to flaunt their superiority.


You see them all the time in World of Warcraft, Forums of all kinds, Real life, and practically anywhere you can shake a stick at. Whether they put you down for your clothes, grammar, gear score, DPS, and what-have-you, there's always someone out there who, in trying to bolster their own esteem, and make them feel better about themselves, is always looking for someone to make feel terrible by treating others in a condescending manner. They have an air of self-importance about them and act as if only *they* know absolutely anything about, well, everything.



Recently, I was browsing a forum and a thread about Permanent Collars. Mostly it was about Permanently Locking Collars. Basically, for those who haven't heard of them, the ones with no key, and once they're on, they're on for good. They require bolt cutters or even worse if you ever have to have it taken off for medical reasons, emergencies, TSA, etc. Some saying that they, while cool in concept, aren't exactly a good idea, and some on the other side of the fence saying about how they've had no quarrels with permanently locking collars.


Nothing wrong with a healthy, civil debate.


As I read through the posts, I came across a few that were by someone who had this to contribute:


[*Please note: I did tidy up the text, as I assume that English was not the writer's first language, in addition to referring to herself as "it". Both of which there isn't anything wrong with, mind, but I tidied it up for clarity.*]


*Since the very day I got my permanent collar [tattooed] on and forever shut by my Owner, my collar did not come off for a second. And I never, ever will be able to take my collar off, not for a single second from my neck, for the rest of my entire life. This can be called a permanent collar. Nothing else will ever be permanent. So please do me a favor and call your collar a "Screwed Shut" or "Mostly Shut Collar" but never again call it a "Permanent Collar". Yours is not permanent and will never be. Only my tattooed collar is permanent as it will never come off, until my death. Together, with a branded collar, is the only possible permanence of a SLAVE COLLAR.


/Elitism crits for 300k Superiority-Complex damage.


Wow, rude much?


Okay, I'll be honest, I can't stand stuff like this. I take issue with it because not only is the Poster in question trying to make herself seem "Kinkier than Thou" by putting a great many people down, but also because of the fact that she is trying to dictate what goes on in people's relationships and trying to tell them what to call something, to which she has no right.


Had she said something along the lines of, "Well, I have a Tattooed collar, and I personally believe, in my opinion, that this is as close to permanent as it gets. But hey to each their own". That would have been one thing. She would have been stating her opinion, not expressing and presenting them as "fact", like she did, and bossing people around in the process.


Others told her that she was being very insulting and had no right to tell people what to do, or what to call their collars. Also that a Collar can be anything, a ring, necklace, anklet, etc, whatever the Sub/Slave and Dom/Master decide on. Which is 100% true. 


She goes on to say that she believes that the only Permanent Collars are ones that are literally permanent and can come off by literally *no* means (brushing off the fact that a tattoo can be lasered off, with the logic that even if it were, it'd leave behind a trace of it, whether it be a scar, off pigmentation, and the like). And says:


** This is why I consider only a tattoo to be permanent. Piercings and jewelry are not, and a "Screwed Down Collar" is, at the very least, only a piece of jewelry. It has become the fashion in this community to call any symbol that someone wears to indicate their Slave Status - a Collar. This is also a violation of language. A ring and such is of course, an item reminding a Slave of their status, but it is never a Collar. A Collar is supposed to be around the Slave's neck and rest on the COLLAR BONE, and nowhere else.


Wow. Just wow. Calling someone's collar, regardless of what form it may take, (something that is precious to the people in question) just "mere jewelry and nothing more" is terrible. Quite frankly, I wonder how she would react if one pointed out to her that her Collar is only "mere ink".


I'd also like to point to point out that she is completely wrong in saying that, "A Collar is supposed to be around the Slave's neck  ...  No where else", and not only in the obvious way. If the only collar she wears is the Tattoo collar around her neck or other symbols that are only "skin deep", then she has issues. Don't get me wrong, I cherish my steel collar. It is one of, if not the, most prized possession I own. It is on par with my Engagement ring.


What I mean is that what matters most of all, is the Collar a Sub/Slave wears around their heart.


I'll "put it to ya' this way":


If a group of Subs/Slaves were stripped completely bear of any thing, whether it be Collars (of any form), Tattoos, Brands, Piercings, and any other symbols of their Submission, then graded and judged on how good of a Sub/Slave they were, then the winner *would not* be the one with the most Permanent Collar, or the one that was nearest to (or literally) impossible to remove.


No, the true Winners would be the ones who love, serve, and submit to their Doms/Masters with all their hearts, to the best of their ability, and in doing so, with joy.


~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~


Anyway, thanks for reading my rant, I really do hope you enjoyed it :) I'd like to know your opinions on the matter, so if you all would like to leave a comment, they'd be greatly appreciated :)


Sincerely,
Persephone Nightmare

2 comments:

  1. Gawd, Persephone, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. Seriously, there's only one right way to do BDSM. You'd do well to learn that if you want to be a twue subbay.

    Now that I'm done laughing I find this kind of stuff hysterical. Thanks for the laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. People like this just aren't worth trying to talk to, to me.

    Honestly? Yes, I suppose you could call my collar a "screwed on" collar. The symbol of the steel never fading, always being there, etc is more what is important to me. I think to Master, he loves the steel - but also it's much more important to him that I be able to undergo medical treatment and live if need be, than it is to prove that I am "hardcore".

    That and, I'm glad that your forum "buddy" there discovered the "One TWUE way." Now they can teach and enlighten us all! Woo hoo!

    Good rant. ;)

    ReplyDelete